Monday, January 12, 2009

Cooking from the Books

G gave me two wonderful cookbooks this Christmas and I am grinning ear to ear as I look and browse through pictures and pictures of scrumptuous food. From then on, I made a promise to myself that I would try at least one recipe (from any of these 2 books every week) and showcase them here.

The Williams-Sonoma book entitled, Essentials of Slow Cooking is a book introduced by Eric, (Oed's husband) who loves to cook just like me. I used to browse through his copy before and have actually tried several of the dishes there which were all absolute hits with our friends during potluck dinners. The dishes that I've successfully prepared using this cookbook were the following:



1. Country Style Pork Ribs - (p.159) it filled our kitchen and living room with an oh-so wonderful aroma only baked ribs can give
2. Smothered Porkchops with Caramelized Onions - (p.198) which was featured in one of my blogs here entitled "A Porky Business".

3. Osso Buco - (p.214) I substituted lamb shoulder instead of veal but just the same, it was very good!!!

4. Belgian Beef Stew - (p.237) it was my first time to cook with liquor because this one calls for a dark beer.

5. Teriyaki Chicken Thighs - (p.132) but in my case...Teriyaki Chicken Drumsticks, which was gone before we can even say "Merry Christmas!" to one another.


The second cook book was a whole new thing for me. It's entitled "The Illustrated Kitchen Bible" and oh boy! a budding cook's Bible it was. The recipes were categorized as starters and light bites, main dishes and side dishes and cakes and desserts, not to mention cooking techniques. And with beautiful pictures of finished products...you just wanna grab your pan and start cooking!


Since I have not tried a single recipe from this book, I resolved to use it and work on 2 recipes this week. I hope the kitchen gods will bless me as I prepare:

1. Eggplant Parmigiana - p.228

2. Apple Charlotte - p. 459

Keeping my chubby fingers crossed for these 2 recipes!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment